If you would like to adopt one of our babies please carefully read the contract below and, if you agree to the terms, fill out the pre-adoption questions form to add yourself to the waiting list. You will almost certainly have to wait for a litter to become available so keep an eye on the nursery page or the Facebook page for updates. The wait is currently between 3 and 9 months depending on how many litters are planned, how many babies are born, and how many previous adopters put their hands up for them.
When a litter is 3ish weeks old I will contact everyone on the list and make a short list of people who are still interested. After a week or so I will let the shortlist know if there are babies for them and start sorting out homes. I try my hardest to give everyone the colours/genders they want but this can be impossible sometimes. I give breeders first choice of babies, then past adopters, then people who have been on the waiting list the longest.
I don’t take deposits and you can change your mind about taking a baby at any time. Just let me know and I will find your baby a new home.
When the babies are about 8 weeks old they’ll be ready for you to pick up, though I’m happy to keep them here for a bit longer if that makes things easier for their future owners. I can sometimes send babies out of Auckland on the pet bus (you can read about the process here).
Babies MUST go in pairs except in special circumstances (such as if you have another rat of a similar age). If you have older rats it is still better to get a pair to make the little ones’ transition into your group easier.
Adoption fees are $40 per rat. This includes a snuggle sack, toy, birth certificate, and a small bag of food.
If at any time you no longer wish to keep any rats you have got from me I will take them back, no questions asked.
- The Adopter accepts the responsibility for caring for above rat(s) and providing for its welfare.
- The Adopter agrees that above rat(s) will receive prompt medical care if and when it is needed.
- The Adopter agrees to provide companionship for above rat(s) with at least one rat companion of the same sex.
- The Adopter agrees to provide the above rat(s) with daily exercise in a safe environment.
- The Adopter agrees to keep the above rat(s) in a safe and comfortable enclosure that is regularly cleaned.
- The Adopter agrees to feed above rat(s) a well-balanced diet that includes fresh fruits and vegetables, and provide clean water.
- The Adopter agrees that, if they are no longer able to care for their pet(s), the above rat(s) will not be sold or given to any pet shop, animal shelter, rescue, or re-homed in any way without first contacting the breeder .
- The Adopter agrees never to mentally or physically abuse the above rat(s).
- The Adopter agrees to keep the Breeder updated on major health or temperament issues related to the above rat(s), including date(s) of death.
- The Breeder guarantees the that the rat(s) being sold, is/are in good health. The Breeder cannot guarantee the rats continued good health upon leaving the premises of the Rattery. The Adopter has examined the rat(s) they are purchasing and agrees that the rat(s) appear to be healthy.
- If the above rat(s) is being sold as a pet only (non-breeding), the Adopter will not purposefully allow it to breed.
Please answer all the pre-adoption questions to add yourself the waiting list. Please add anything else you think I should know to the box at the bottom of the form. Feel free to ask any questions you have about rat care. Don’t worry if you don’t know the answers to some of the questions, I’m more than happy to give advice on anything you’re not sure of.
If you have any questions, please send us a message using the box below and we’ll get back to you ASAP.